Mixed feelings of excitement and nostalgia simmer just under the surface today as I prepare to spend the evening finishing packing up my little Ann Arbor studio…
The Nostalgic Part:
This place has been good to me. I’m within walking distance of the State Street shops, the Farmers market and campus. Sure, there have been hassles in living right in the thick of student life (the drama/musical neighbors haven’t helped). And I suspect that there are creatures living in the walls here… But, that being said I still loved my little home.
I should have taken more pictures before taking my things down off of the walls. I loved the way my black picture frames looked up against the vintage-butter-yellow color of the walls (that I painted with the help of my Mom and her friend). This picture really doesn’t do it justice, but it’s the only one I’ve got…
I’ve really enjoyed having my own little place, but as you might expect, I think I’ll enjoy having just a bit more room. So, that’s the nostalgic piece, I’m gonna miss Ann Arbor.
The Exciting Part:
Saturday, The Beau and his dad will be showing up bright and early with a Penske truck to carry me off to a fabulous future in this lovely abode:
I’ve been obsessing and collecting photos of interior design inspiration for days on Pinterest and I am just itching to let my decorating mind run wild on a blank slate.
Now, to be realistic I have big ideas and very little budget, so most of this is going to take a while (room-by-room, inch-by-inch). At this point the only furniture we have are two beds, one dresser, an old (not very pretty) couch, two black leather ottoman/trunks and some plastic storage drawers…. this should be interesting.
The new place is an older apartment building converted into condos and our unit is a two bedroom with updated kitchen and closets (SCORE!). I plan on updating throughout the nesting process, but here’s my wish list for the record.
Must Haves for the New Place:
- A statement chair for the living room that can play off of the colors we choose, and add interest to the room. Like this:
- A simple area rug I would love something lightly patterned in grey. This will depend on the furniture. Maybe a nice neutral jute rug.
- A long and low media unit that can also hold some books and accessories. I haven’t been able to find an example yet of the kind of piece I want… but when I do I’ll be sure to share.
- A dramatic architects floor lamp (not sure if that describes what I’m thinking of, but I can picture it)…maybe something like this from West Elm
- A new Couch. This is going to be essential in the living room, but I would love for it to be toned out in color so that the rest can pop. I know white is unrealistic, but I’d love a deep, comfy white couch that I could clutter with textural throw pillows. Sorta like this, only with more interesting pillows:
I will complete the want list on another post for the bedrooms and the dining room spaces. I’m particularly into the idea of having a workspace in the guest room for crafting and such. Until then, happy moving to us and anyone else making a summer move!